OVERVIEW: Offers a one-stop shop for social services that are available to Howard County residents. Call and be directed to the appropriate agency. All agencies provide full services unless otherwise noted.
1) ACCESSIBLE RESOURCES FOR INDEPENDENCE (ARI): Provides services to enhance quality of life and strengthen support systems including accessibility adaptations, peer mentoring, advocacy, independent living skills training, transition services, information and referral, and more. Designed to help people with disabilities take part in and contribute to their communities. Offered the 2nd and 4th Wed of each month, 10AM-6PM.
2) DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES (DSS): Provides assistance to low-income families through the Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) grant, Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) and Medical Assistance (Medicaid/MA). Offered Tues, 8:30AM-4PM and Wed, 10AM-6PM.
3) FAMILY AND CHILDREN SERVICES (FCS): Provides case management services, counseling for individuals, couples and families. Offered Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri, 8:30AM-4:30PM and Wed, 10AM-6PM.
4) FOREIGN BORN INFORMATION AND REFERRAL (FIRN): Provides services to immigrants. Services include immigration counseling, interpreters, consumer counseling, adult and student literacy, job counseling and crisis counseling. Offered Tues, 11AM-3PM.
5) THE JACARANDA CENTER FOR FAMILY AND YOUTH DEVELOPMENT: Provides a variety of support programs and trainings to strengthen families and help adults and youth thrive. For more information, call 410-978-1859 or visit www.thejacarandacenter.org. Offered Mon, 8:30AM-2:30PM. Services include:
--Marriage and Relationship Support
--Family Strengthening Courses
--Professional Development Training and Consulting for Family and Youth Provides
6) MAKING CHANGE (MC): Provides a variety of programs to help with finances.
--Housing Counseling: Assist individuals interested in purchasing a home. Mon and Tues, by appointment only. Call Glenda Schulz 410-313-0239.
--Financial Coaching: Sessions help individuals develop a personal spending plan, create a strategy to pay down debt, or set financial goals and plans for success. By appointment only, call Renee McElroy 443-518-7650.
--Financial Seminars: Provides a broad range of financial topics focused on comprehensive and personal money management skills. By appointment only, call Roy Yenoli 410-313-0240.
--Free Tax Preparation: Assisting individuals who made less than $54,000 om 2016. Appointments are encouraged, but will accept walk-ins based on availability. Visit www.makingchangecenter.org to learn more or make an appointment. Offered Mon, Tues, and Fri, 1:30-4:30PM and Wed, 1:30-6:30PM.
7) MARYLAND LEGAL AID: Provides free legal services to low-income persons. Areas of law include family, consumer, public benefits, housing and elder law. Provides representation to vulnerable populations such as seasonal farm workers, nursing homes and assisted living residents. Offered the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wed, 10AM-6PM.
8) MEALS ON WHEELS OF CENTRAL MARYLAND (MOW): Enables people to live independently at home through the provision of nutritious meals, personal contact and related services. Delivers a hot and cold meal daily Mon-Fri, 11AM-1:30PM. Offers a sliding fee scale based on ability to pay, and subsidies may be available to cover the cost of meals for individuals 60 and older. Offered Mon-Fri, 9AM-12:30PM. Also offers the following:
--Healing Meals Helping Hands: Provides frozen meal deliveries, once a week, for individuals with cancer of a chronic health condition.
--Volunteer Grocery Shopping Program
--Phone Pal and Volunteer Companions
--Kibble Connection: Provides free pet food deliveries (cat and dog food).
9) OFFICE OF WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT (OWD): Strives to generate employment and training workforce solutions responsive to business and job seeker needs. Provides access to seekers. Offered Tues and Fri, 11AM-6PM.
10) GETTING AHEAD COORDINATOR: Offers a 45-hour workshop to help individuals in poverty build upon the effects of poverty on their personal resources and ways to improve and build upon those resources. Assists Tues, Thurs and Fri, 8:30AM-4:30PM and Wed, 10AM-6PM.
11) RE-ENTRY PROGRAM: Helps connect individuals to community resources such as transportation, housing, etc. Available Mon, Tues and Fri,1-5PM, by appointment only.
12) SUCCESS IN STYLE: Provides low cost clothing for men and women trying to re-enter the work force,Assists Tues, 12:30-2PM and Wed, 11AM-4PM
13) VETERAN'S BENEFITS SPECIALIST: Connects Veterans to assistance and supportive services in the community. Available by appointment only Mon, Wed and every other Fri.
9900 Washington Boulevard
9900 Washington Boulevard North